To help OMEC deal with specific requests, the following principles will be used when reviewing requests for gifts from Riverside:
- Giving will be consistent with “The Great Ends of the Church” as defined in the Presbyterian Church Book of Order (proclamation of the gospel for humankind; the shelter, nurture and spiritual fellowship of the children of God; the maintenance of divine worship; preservation of truth; promotion of social righteousness).
- Priority will be given to Riverside members and friends; we operate under the umbrella of Riverside church.
- Priority will be given to Presbyterian missions and efforts.
- We will give gifts across a broad range of people/organizations based on need and our ability to fund.
- We will not use gifts as a way to influence the recipient with money (Our gift should not be a substantial portion of what they require).
- We will consider what is being given by other Riverside organizations when allocating funds.
- The financial need of an individual/organization will be considered in decision making.
- Simple form will be required for all fund requests.
- We will provide funds for disaster relief as needed. We will look for opportunities to meet needs that are not met by large social organizations such as the Red Cross, United Way, FEMA, etc. We will think local versus global.
These principles are always a work in progress.